Local media in Guangdong have been poring over the province’s latest Five-Year Plan for industrial upgrading, which has unveiled the goal of becoming a “semiconductor manufacturing powerhouse”, according to Trivium, a Beijing-based consultancy.
This covers every aspect of the supply chain, naturally:
- Key semiconductor materials
- Design software for high-end chips
- Advanced fabrication technologies
- Advanced packaging and testing
- High-end chip manufacturing equipment
The challenge for the province, and indeed for the entire Greater Bay Area, is how to do this when its historical strengths have not been deployed in anything remotely like what is now being expected of it.Continue reading Dreams for GBA chip industry seem unrealistic