Guangdong added seven new COVID-19 cases yesterday, five of which were in Guangzhou, 1 in Shenzhen and 1 in Shantou. Six cases were imported from overseas and one was associated. No new asymptomatic case was confirmed. Three cases were discharged. Among the 138 cases still in hospital (127 imported), 39 were light, 83 normal, 3 severe, and 3 critical, according to the Guangdong Health Commission.
Hong Kong confirmed 21 new cases today, taking its total to 935 (216 discharged), according to the Centre for Health Protection. Here is a Covid-19 tracker, which lists all currently hospitalized cases, with travel history.
Macau reported two new imported cases over the long weekend, taking the total of imported cases to 34 (10 local cases were previously discharged). Here is a Covid-19 Tracker, which lists all currently hospitalized cases, with travel history.
Across the rest of the country, 29 new imported cases were reported, according to the National Health Commission. There were two local cases, in Liaoning and Guangdong. Asymptomatic cases dropped to 1,027, as 101 were released from monitoring and 12 new cases were reported.
- The latest coronavirus has thousands of others lined up behind it, waiting to jump from animals to humans. Farms and cities encroaching on wildlife habitats have made these jumps more likely, but predicting and monitoring them is difficult. SCMP has an in-depth explanation.
- The Guangzhou Railway Group handled passenger traffic of around 2.76 million over the past four days due to the Qing Ming (tomb sweeping) festival, about two-thirds of its traffic for the same holiday period last year. Guangzhou South Station saw traffic levels at only around one-third of last year’s numbers, however, as most potential arrivals from outside the province were encouraged to stay home this year and worship their ancestors online. SCN.
- Dongguan has taken the lead to set a standardized price for coronavirus antibody tests: 70 yuan per test, which must be done twice, at least 24 hours apart. The cost is borne by health insurance, so it is free to residents. The test is being urged by local authorities across China as a way of measuring local infection rates more accurately. DGT.
- Hong Kong has extended its airport closure to non-residents indefinitely, while a leading microbiologist has called for an emergency law requiring all residents to wear masks in public. SCMP.
- Hong Kong’s Chief Executive, Carrie Lam, says relief measures will soon be introduced to safeguard the jobs of grassroots workers. She also warned that social-distancing regulations would be enforced strictly. SCMP.
- Hong Kong police rounded up 91 people found crammed into a 1,000 sq ft unlicensed pub, despite coronavirus regulations barring both group gatherings and the operation of bars. SCMP.
- Shenzhen Customs has been working with companies and logistics firms to keep exports flowing while international cargo-carrying capacity has been eviscerated by lockdowns. SF Group, the city’s biggest logistics firm, has been putting on more dedicated cargo flights to other countries, while China Post has been routing deliveries to Europe via trans-continental railway. SZN.
- China’s biggest e-commerce services providers, Alibaba Group Holding, JD.com and Pinduoduo, are pushing separate initiatives to help revive sales of farm goods from Hubei, as the province hardest hit by the coronavirus crisis emerges from its months-long lockdown. SCMP.
- With one in six international students coming from China, the coronavirus is causing reappraisal by global educational institutions about their value as Chinese online educators see an opportunity. SCMP.