Coronavirus update: Imports surge in Guangdong, HK

Guangdong reported five new COVID-19 cases yesterday, three in Guangzhou and two in Shenzhen, all imported from overseas. Five more patients were released from hospital, keeping the number under treatment at 49, according to the Guangdong Health Commission.

Hong Kong recorded its first double-digit daily increase in more than a month, adding 10 new cases on Tuesday, of which six were imported or close contacts of imported cases. Meanwhile, at least eight more have tested positive for COVID-19 this morning, according to medical sources quoted by SCMP, although yet to be officially confirmed by the health authorities. This takes the city’s potential total of confirmed cases to 175. Four were released from hospital, bringing the total discharges to 92, while 267 remain under observation, according to the Centre for Health Protection.

The death toll in the GBA remained at 12.

Macau confirmed three new imported cases, all of whom entered Macau via the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge after taking a flight to Hong Kong.

The rest of the country reported eight new cases yesterday, all imported. China has recorded 155 imported cases so far. Hubei added just one new case and announced 11 new deaths, according to the Hubei Health Commission.

Of China’s total 80,894 confirmed cases, around 86% have left hospital, with 922 discharged yesterday alone, according to the National Health Commission.

Related news:

1. An opinion piece in Caixin compares the Chinese-style forced quarantine measures and the “herd immunity” currently adopted by the UK and several European countries, and found both are full of uncertainty. Caixin.

2. Most countries had imposed various forms of travel restrictions on coronavirus-hit countries and areas, which is contradictory to the WHO guidelines which advised against travel bans, and this could distract governments from taking domestic measures to prepare for the outbreak, public health experts have warned. SCMP.

3. A freelance reporter working at SCMP’s newsroom has tested preliminary positive for the coronavirus on Tuesday, prompting the newspaper to close its headquarters in the densely-populated Causeway Bay and move all operations online. SCMP.

4. Zhong Nanshan said today that herd immunity, the approach seemingly adopted by several Western countries, is not the correct way to tackle the coronavirus outbreak, as there is no evidence suggesting that people will not be re-infected by the coronavirus after recovery from it. Guangzhou Daily.

5. Guangzhou has reopened part of its tourism attractions and sports facilities, with some form of prevention measures still in place, including limiting the number of visitors and conducting body temperature tests. Guangzhou Daily.

6. Shenzhen Bay Port, the only open border linking Shenzhen and Hong Kong, has seen waves of Chinese returning to the mainland via Hong Kong airport in the past few days to weather the coronavirus storm, raising concerns on the rise of imported cases, but the port said it is well prepared with prevention measures. Sznews.com.

Tell us what you think