Guangdong reported no new COVID-19 cases today, the fourth time since it began reporting, keeping the total at 1,350 confirmed cases. Most have recovered, with another 47 patients discharged on Monday, leaving only 269 under treatment in the province, according to the Guangdong Health Commission.
Hong Kong reported one new case today, a 63-year-old contact of a previous case, taking the city’s total to 100, with 65 still under treatment, according to the Centre for Health Protection. The death toll in the GBA remains at nine.
Hubei, epicentre of the outbreak, reported 114 new cases, down 82 from the previous day’s 196, taking the total to 67,217. The death toll rose to 2,834, with 31 new deaths added on Sunday, down 11 from the previous day’s 42, according to the Hubei Health Commission.
The nationwide number of new infections outside Hubei was 11 on Monday, up from the previous day’s six. Of the total 80,151 confirmed cases, around 60% have left hospital, according to the National Health Commision.
1. South Korea has seen an explosion of COVID-19 infections as the country’s cases reached 5,186, confirming another 477 cases on Tuesday. The death toll rose to 28, up two from Monday. SCMP.
2. As many as 533 Hong Kong residents stuck in Hubei, including 440 in Wuhan, will be brought back to Hong Kong by four chartered flights on Wednesday and Thursday, the city’s leader Carrie Lam said. SCMP.
3. Hong Kong’s financial services sector is slowing down hiring activities as anti-government protests and coronavirus epidemic have led to job cuts at the financial institutions. SCMP.
4. An investigative piece by Caixin finds the data on the resumption rate of businesses, as revealed by local authorities, are largely manipulated – with factories and companies keeping all the air conditioners and equipment open as the resumption rates are being tested based on electricity consumption. Caixin.
5. Dongguan has rolled out Friday a total of 60 measures aimed at speeding up the resumption of businesses, mainly including tax cuts, social security fee cuts and faster funds provided to local enterprises. Dg.focus.cn.