Coronavirus update: Guangdong at zero new cases

COVID-19 recoveries are rapidly climbing in Guangdong, while the province finally saw zero new infections for the first time since it started reporting the numbers, keeping the total at 1,347 on Tuesday, according to the Guangdong Health Commission. So far, 841 patients have left hospital, with 36 discharged on Tuesday alone. 

In Hong Kong, four new cases were confirmed yesterday, with six more testing positive today, potentially taking the city’s total to 91. Among the confirmed total of 85, 18 patients have been discharged, according to the city’s Centre for Health Protection. The death toll in the GBA remained at nine.

Related news:

  1. Hubei, epicentre of the outbreak, reported 401 new cases yesterday, taking the total to 65,187. The death toll rose to 2,615, with 52 new deaths added, down 16 from the previously reported 68 daily increase, according to the Hubei Health Commission. 
  2. The nationwide number of new infections outside Hubei remained at single digits on Tuesday, at five, down four from the previous day’s nine. The death toll rose to 2,715, with 52 new deaths reported, all in Hubei. Of the total 78,064 infections, more than one-third have been discharged, according to the National Health Commission.
  3. COVID-19 is escalating in Asia, with infections in South Korea at 1,146, adding 169 new cases on Wednesday. The largest outbreak outside China, South Korea has reported 11 fatalities so far. SCMP.
  4. Hong Kong’s government rolled out a relief package that would give each Hong Kong permanent residents aged 18 and above a cash handout of HK$10,000. SCMP.
  5. COVID-19 cases in Hong Kong could balloon to more than 1,000 within the next two weeks if the government does not effectively handle the epidemic, said Dr. Sean Yuan Hsiang-yu, assistant professor at Department of Biomedical Sciences of the City University of Hong Kong. SCMP.
  6. Foreign companies in Guangdong are still committed, as 75% of the 399 surveyed by the American Chamber of Commerce in South China said the epidemic hasn’t changed their investment plans. Southcn.com
  7. Shenzhen has officially banned the eating of wild animals, with dogs, birds, snakes and turtles on the blacklist, as stipulated by the draft regulation issued on Tuesday. Diners and restaurants violating the regulations can face up to 20,000 yuan and 200,000 yuan of fines. Nanfang Daily.
  8. Guangdong’s education authorities said primary and secondary schools in Guangdong will keep conducting online courses, dismissing rumours that local students will return to schools on March 2, without setting a date for reopening. Nanfang Daily.
  9. Some companies in China, including supermarkets and e-commerce platform’s offline stores, are temporarily hiring employees from other businesses yet to resume operations, in a trend of so-called “employee sharing” amid the labour shortage caused by the coronavirus outbreak. Nanfang Daily.

Tell us what you think