Guangdong reported three new cases of COVID-19 yesterday, while Hong Kong had two and Macau had none. Two new deaths were reported yesterday separately in Hong Kong and Zhuhai, bringing the GBA’s total to seven since the outbreak began.
The patient who died in Hong Kong on Wednesday morning, the second in the city, was a 70-year-old man with underlying diabetes and kidney problems, SCMP reported. The death in Zhuhai was a 78-year-old man who had arrived from Wuhan in early January, according to Zhuhai Health Bureau. He was the first confirmed case in the city.
Guangdong has managed to keep its new infection figure at single digits this week, with six new cases added on both Sunday and Monday, according to the Guangdong Health Commission.
The three newly added cases were all reported from Huizhou. It was the first day since COVID-19 began being reported in Guangdong that the two megacities of Guangzhou and Shenzhen reported no new cases.
The total number in the province is 1,331, of which 571 have left hospital, with 41 cases discharged on Tuesday alone. In Hong Kong, two patients were discharged on Tuesday, bringing the city’s number of recoveries to four.
The provincial infection number has been dropping steadily over the past two weeks, from 127 at the beginning of Feb, as various containment measures have been enforced by city governments, including entry restrictions to the province and lockdown in local communities.
For the nine GBA cities in Guangdong, as of 9 am today, Shenzhen has 416, Guangzhou 339, Zhuhai 98, Dongguan 91, Foshan 84, Zhongshan 66, Huizhou 62, Jiangmen 23 and Zhaoqing 18.
- In Hubei, epicentre of the outbreak, 1,693 new cases were reported today, a further decrease from the previous day’s 1,807, bringing the total to 61,682. The death toll rose to 1,921, with 132 new deaths added, up 39 from the previously reported 93 daily increase, according to Hubei Health Commission. The nationwide number of new infections outside Hubei has seen a steady decrease for 15 straight days, at 56.
- Zhong Nanshan, the renowned respiratory expert at the National Health Commission, said today that latest research has shown the potential for the coronavirus to be spread through faeces and even possibly airborne, while highlighting the importance of keeping household sewers clear. Southern Metropolis Daily.
- The number of industrial enterprises which have resumed their business by Monday in Guangdong has more than doubled from last Thursday, to 26,209, accounting for more than half of the enterprises above designated size in the province. Meanwhile, as high as 82.8% of facemask makers have got back to work. Nanfang Daily.
- As Hong Kong’s unemployment rate increased to 3.4% in January, the highest in more than three years, labour groups in the city have called on the city government to give out direct cash handouts to the residents laid off or forced to take unpaid leave during the outbreak. SCMP.
- As Guangdong reports that a high proportion of its workers have returned to work, vice minister of transport Liu Xiaoming has said less than one third of China’s 291 million migrant workers had returned from their hometowns by last Friday. Caixin.
- Shenzhen has been gradually recovering from the shutdown caused by the outbreak, with workers going to work in the morning causing traffic jams. Sznews.com.
- In conjunction with transport authorities, WeChat has launched a few feature that could alert a taxi passenger if he has taken a taxi whose previous passengers have been infected with COVID-19. Sznews.com.
- Guangdong’s numerous tech firms are making their contributions to the containment of the COVID-19 epidemic and the smooth resumption of businesses – through 144 registered online products developed by more than 60 internet service providers, covering various areas including disease control, medical service, scientific research and remote work. Nanfang Daily.