Guangdong added five new COVID-19 cases yesterday, all imported from overseas, four of which were in Guangzhou and one in Shenzhen. One case was discharged. Among the 91 cases still in hospital (77 imported), 18 were light, 66 normal, 0 severe, and 7 critical, according to the Guangdong Health Commission.
Hong Kong confirmed 24 new cases today, including 19 who recently travelled abroad, taking the city’s total number to 410 (102 discharged), according to the Centre for Health Protection.
Across the rest of the country, 47 new imported cases were reported (19 in Shanghai), according to the National Health Commission.
- Roughly 60 per cent of people who contracted Covid-19 in Wuhan were asymptomatic or very mild cases not reported to the authorities, according to a study led by a group of Chinese doctors. SCMP.
- Chinese biopharmaceutical company Junshi Biosciences is teaming up with the Institute of Microbiology at the Chinese Academy of Sciences to develop Covid-19 neutralizing antibodies. These are different than a vaccine, and carry risks. The company said in vitro experiments show they are effective and the next step will be animal experiments. Caixin.
- Processing times at the only border point open between Hong Kong and Shenzhen – in Shenzhen Bay – are running at about three hours on average, for locals. For foreigners, it is three hours, too – followed by a 14-day quarantine. SZN.
- Hong Kong lawmakers passed a HK$215.9 billion package that will keep the government funded until the latest budget is approved, after the government warned any hold-up would undermine the fight against the coronavirus pandemic.
- Nearly two thirds of US companies operating in China are struggling with travel disruptions due to the coronavirus and many have recorded a sharp deterioration in demand, a new survey shows. SCMP.