Guangzhou has big plans for its cultural industries, judging by a two-month-long festival that launched this week at the city’s Grand Theater.
The opening event of the 2019 Canton Cultural Industry Fair saw a flurry of deal-signing, as these events usually do, with 17 major project agreements inked. The biggest of these was between the Huadu District government and the Lixin Group, to create a Greater Bay “cultural tourism hub” centered on the Guangzhou North Railway Station. It is worth RMB 15 billion, with the first phase set to build a film and television center, an e-sports arena, and various tourism-related services.
Grabbing attention was the release of a list of the city’s top 50 “Cultural Enterprises”. (See full list below.)
The event is focused on displays and performances from a wide range of sectors, such as performing arts, animation games, film and television, music, cultural creativity, cultural equipment, and cultural finance. Hundreds of exhibitions have been set up at the venue.
The industry is performing strongly. From 2012 to 2017, the city’s cultural industry has grown at an average annual rate of about 13%, well above overall GDP growth. It is not from a small base, either: last year, it generated sales RMB 126.143 billion, accounting for 5.5% of GDP.
Top 50 Guangzhou Cultural Enterprises in 2019
(not in any particular order)
1. Guangzhou NetEase Computer System Co., Ltd.
2. Focus Media Information Technology Co., Ltd.
3. Guangdong Advertising Group Co., Ltd.
4. Guangzhou Guangzhilv International Travel Service Co., Ltd.
5. Guangzhou Huaduo Network Technology Co., Ltd.
6, Guangzhou Shiyuan Electronic Technology Co., Ltd.
7. Southern Newspaper Media Group Co., Ltd.
8. Guangzhou Changlong Group Co., Ltd.
9. Guangzhou Daily Newspaper Group
10. Guangdong Dadi Cinema Line Co., Ltd.
11. Guangdong Southern Broadcasting and Television Media Group Co., Ltd.
12. Guangzhou Xinhua Publishing and Distribution Group Co., Ltd.
13, Guangzhou Ai Jiuyou Information Technology Co., Ltd.
14. Guangzhou Jinyi Zhujiang Cinema Line Co., Ltd.
15. Guangzhou KuGou Computer Technology Co., Ltd.
16, Guangzhou Kulv Service Co., Ltd.
17. Guangzhou Yichang Technology Co., Ltd.
18. Guoguang Electric Appliance Co., Ltd.
19. Southern Publishing Media Co., Ltd.
20, three’s company advertising Co., Ltd.
21. Guangzhou Duoyi Network Co., Ltd.
22. Guangzhou Lifeng Culture Technology Co., Ltd.
23, Guangzhou Lizhi Network Technology Co., Ltd.
24, Guangzhou Sanqi Interactive Entertainment Technology Co., Ltd.
25. Guangzhou Haoyang Electronics Co., Ltd.
26. Guangzhou Zhujiang Piano Group Co., Ltd.
27. Guangzhou Zhujiang Digital Group Co., Ltd.
28. Flamingo Network (Guangzhou) Co., Ltd.
29. Wei Chuang Group Co., Ltd.
30. Zhujiang Film Group Co., Ltd.
31. Guangzhou Aofei Culture Communication Co., Ltd.
32. Guangdong Wearable Digital Technology Co., Ltd.
33. Guangdong Xinghui Tiantuo Interactive Entertainment Co., Ltd.
34. Guangzhou Amy Network Technology Co., Ltd.
35, Guangzhou Baiyun International Advertising Co., Ltd.
36. Guangzhou Baitian Information Technology Co., Ltd.
37. Guangzhou Fantuo Digital Creative Technology Co., Ltd.
38. Guangzhou Huali Technology Co., Ltd.
39. Guangzhou Quwan Network Technology Co., Ltd.
40. Guangzhou Dongjing Computer Technology Co., Ltd.
41. Yangcheng Evening News Newspaper Group
42. Guangdong Maisheng Animation Co., Ltd.
43. Guangzhou Jimeizu Interior Design Engineering Co., Ltd.
44. Guangzhou Jiudi Digital Technology Co., Ltd.
45. Guangzhou Lefu Culture Development Co., Ltd.
46. Guangzhou Manyou Culture Technology Development Co., Ltd.
47. Guangzhou Fangsuo Cultural Development Co., Ltd.
48. Guangzhou Jiubang Digital Technology Co., Ltd.
49. Guangzhou Ruifeng Audio Technology Co., Ltd.
50, Guangzhou Tianwen Jiaochuan Animation Co., Ltd.