Coronavirus update: new cases stay in single digits

  1. As of 9 am today, Guangdong had reported 1,328 confirmed cases related to the virus, adding only six new infections, the same increase as the previous day. The newly-added cases were reported from five cities in the GBA – two in Dongguan, and one in Shenzhen, Zhuhai, Huizhou and Zhaoqing each. So far, Shenzhen has 416, Guangzhou 339, Zhuhai 98, Dongguan 91, Foshan 84, Zhongshan 66, Huizhou 59, Jiangmen 23 and Zhaoqing 18, according to the Guangdong Health Commission.

  1. In Hubei, epicentre of the outbreak, 1,807 new cases were reported today, a slight decrease from the previous day’s 1,933, bringing the total to 59,989. The death toll rose to 1,789, with 93 new deaths added, down 7 from the previously reported 100 daily increase, according to Hubei Health Commission. The nationwide number of new infections outside Hubei has seen a steady decrease for 13 straight days, at 79.
  2. Hong Kong reported two more confirmed cases on Monday night, taking the total infections to 60. They are colleague and wife of a previously-confirmed patient. SCMP.
  3. Macau has announced it will repatriate its five ID cardholders from the Diamond Princess, although three of them would stay in Hong Kong, as they hold ID cards from both SARs. MI.
  4. The two deaths reported from Shenzhen on Sunday were male patients at 66 and 63, respectively. Both had travelled to Wuhan at the end of December and were diagnosed with COVID-19 on Jan 20, with pre-existing conditions. Sznews.com. 
  5. Renowned respiratory expert Zhong Nanshan said today the nationwide number of infections could come to a peak in late February and become flat in April, adding that the tough containment measures started to take effect in stemming the spread of virus. Xinhua. 
  6. Guangdong has issued a detailed guidance on how to implement containment measures locally, asking local authorities to closely monitor the new infection numbers, total infection numbers as well as the potential for a community outbreak. Nanfang Daily.
  7. After Guangdong unveiled 15 measures last week to help businesses hit by COVID-19, the city has identified 5,838 companies as eligible for unemployment insurance reduction. As much as 2 billion yuan of loans have been approved, meeting one-third of the financing needs from over 700 companies in the city. Information Times.
  8. Prices of new homes in January in Guangzhou rose 4.2% year-on-year, with a month-on-month increase of 0.3%. Prices of second-hand homes dropped 1.3% year-on-year, but still maintained a 0.3% monthly increase. Leju.com.
  9. The Shenzhen-based property giant Evergrande is offering massive discounts across its 613 properties in the country amid a cash crunch, at 25% from Tuesday to the end of February and 22% throughout March. Caixin.
  10. Hong Kong’s tourism industry would take a bigger hit from the COVID-19 outbreak than the SARS epidemic in 2002-2003, with the daily tourist arrivals in mid-February estimated at only a third of the lowest level during the SARS period, said executive director of Hong Kong Tourism Board Dane Cheng Ting-yat. SCMP.

Tell us what you think